How daa Implemented the Power Platform to Drive Efficiencies
daa, previously Dublin Airport Authority, is a commercial semi-state airport company in Ireland. The company owns and operates Dublin Airport and Cork Airport. Its other subsidiaries include the travel retail business Aer Rianta International and daa International.
daa was introducing a new time management system to enable their frontline workers to manage their shifts. A solution was required which allowed the bulk swapping of worker shifts to reduce the workload on management in approving these swaps. A Power App was proposed and rolled out successfully.
Part of the management of shift work in daa involves adhering to the Working Time Act which requires the need to ensure that frontline workers shifts are adequately spaced apart. These frontline shift workers often need to swap their shifts in bulk – this usually involves interacting directly with their colleagues and swapping shifts amongst themselves. However, management oversight and approval are required for all these swaps. Initially, a non-Microsoft product had been advocated as a solution, but this product didn’t allow users to swap their shifts in bulk as required and created significant overheads on users and management alike.
daa needed a solution to manage this shift swapping in a timely and efficient manner.
daa engaged with Codec in order to find a solution. Codec advocated the Power Platform in this instance and since then have successfully established it as the go-to platform for the workforce of approx. 600 people.
The Power Platform was selected by daa as the solution of choice to facilitate this work based on several key factors:
• It integrated with their existing Microsoft ecosystem
• It was an economical way to deliver an engaging mobile experience for frontline workers
• It allowed daa to use Microsoft Power Apps, Power Automate and SharePoint Online to great effect in delivering this solution
• It facilitated the use of Azure Dev Ops, and Power Platform environments for Application Lifecycle Management (ALM)
• The mobile application could be continuously developed to add more features over time
• Power Apps supports a user first approach to design
By partnering with daa, Codec have enabled daa to identify and solve other challenges using their own internal developers to create solutions on the Power Platform, as well as continuing to engage with Codec for advanced solutions and resourcing.
Power Platform lies at the centre of the success of this project for frontline workers in daa in managing what previously was a frustrating and time-consuming exercise in managing shift swaps for both workers and management alike.
Using the Power Platform, this project has seen the successful delivery of a mobile application for over 600 frontline workers. In addition, some of the other benefits of the solution implemented include:
• Removed reliance on Excel and enabled management in daa to view and approve/reject requested shift swaps in real-time
• Demonstrated how to effectively use Azure Dev Ops for continuous development with the Power Platform
• Positioned the Power Platform and Microsoft products as a viable alternative to their time management system and non-Microsoft SAAS
• Enabled daa for ongoing Power Platform developments by establishing multiple environments to follow best practices in Power Platform ALM and ensure the continued success of the Power Platform
Most importantly though, through this program of work, daa has started to demonstrate the effectiveness of the platform internally. By delivering resources for a “road show” advocating the Power Platform, Codec are enabling daa to create their own internal champions who understand what the technology can do and how it can benefit them.
“We have received great feedback from the users on the floor regarding the app and its ease of use. From a personal point of view the app development has exceeded my expectations in terms of design and usability. The WSO team members are also praising it in terms of design and how the sharepoint back end is also working for them. I know we worked to a really tight deadline to get this live on time. Just want to express our thanks from both myself and the project team on this initiative.”
Stephen Bourke, Transformation Programme Manager, Dublin Airport Authority